New Year’s resolutions. Most of us make them every year -- and most of us fail. But maybe we don’t have to. I believe the best way to avoid failing is to pick resolutions you know you can actually keep. These are small, easy, and -- most important -- enjoyable things to make your 2017 just a little bit better.
- Be mindful. I’m not going to tell you to meditate every day or plaster your bathroom mirror with positive affirmations. Just being mindful or aware of the thoughts you are having can make a huge impact on your life. Don’t judge them if they are negative -- just acknowledge them. See how it makes you feel.
- Smile more. You can do it. I bet you can even do it right now! Just the act of smiling can release chemicals in the brain like neuropeptides, endorphins, and serotonin that can improve mood, boost your immunity, and even help you live longer.
- Breathe. The simple acting of taking a slow, deep breathe is health magic. It sparks the parasympathetic system to turn off the release of high-stress hormones cortisol and adrenaline for instant relaxation. Best part -- you can do this anytime, anywhere.
- Say no. It’s ok, really. Learning to say no can be harder than it sounds, but it’s only one syllable -- so try it out. Say no if you don’t want to go to something. Say no if you’re too busy to take on more work. Say no to negative thoughts. Say no to food that makes you feel gross. Say no to whatever you want.
- Be awesome. You already are so there’s no way you can mess this one up. Just continue to be yourself in 2017 and you’ll continue to be awesome.
What are some of your New Year’s resolutions? What do you hope to accomplish in 2017? If you have health or relaxation goals, let’s chat! I can offer you support, services, and guidance in how to reach those goals. Happy New Year!!